quinta-feira, 18 de março de 2021

Prex Manasse Rex: A royal contriction act as an example for Lent

The Prayer of Manasseh, though not a part of the Canon of Scripture proper, was included by St. Jerome in his Vulgate and the Council of Trent placed it in the Vulgate's Appendix as a part of the Apocrypha. Written sometime in the first 2 centuries BC, the Prayer of Manasseh is a classic of penitential devotion. It is associated with the wicked king of Judah, Manasseh, who composed a prayer in exile asking for forgiveness of his many sins (2Chr 33:13) and makes a fitting meditation for Confession.

O Lord, Almighty God of our fathers – of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob -- and of their righteous seed;
who made heaven and earth, with all the adornment thereof! 
Who hast bound the sea by the word of Your commandment; who hast shut up the deep, and sealed it by Your awesome and glorious name; 
whom all men fear, and tremble before Your power; for the majesty of Your glory cannot be comprehended, and Your angry threatening toward sinners is overwhelming! 
But Your merciful promise is immeasurable and unsearchable; for thou art the most high Lord, of great compassion, longsuffering, very merciful, and You turn the evils of men toward repentance. 
You, O Lord, according to thy great goodness have promised repentance and forgiveness to those who have sinned against You: and by Your infinite mercies You have appointed repentance unto sinners, that they may be saved. 
You therefore, O Lord and the God of the just, have not appointed repentance for the just - for Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, who have not sinned against You - but You have appointed repentance unto me, for I am a sinner. 
My sins are more in number than the sands of the sea. My transgressions, O Lord, are multiplied: my transgressions are multiplied, and I am not worthy to behold and see the height of heaven because of the multitude of my iniquities. I am bowed down with so many iron chains that I cannot life up my head. 
And, I have no right to complain, neither do I have any excuse; for I have provoked Your wrath, and done evil before You. I did not do Your will, neither did I follow your commandments. I have set up abominations, and have multiplied my offences. 
Now, therefore, I bow the knee of my heart, asking You for grace. I have sinned, O Lord, I have sinned, and I acknowledge my iniquities! 
Wherefore, I humbly beg You to forgive me; O Lord, forgive me, and do not destroy me with my iniquities. 
Do not be angry with me forever; neither condemn me to the lower parts of the earth. For You are the God of those who repent; and in me thou wilt show forth all of Your great goodness! 
For You will save me, even though I am unworthy, because of Your great mercy!  Therefore I will praise You forever, all the days of my life. 
For all the powers of the heavens praise You, and Yours is the glory for ever and ever. Amen

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário

Nota: só um membro deste blogue pode publicar um comentário.

UM DESAFIO : Terço pela Paz durante o mês de Maio

  Fundação AIS convoca portugueses para a oração ininterrupta do Terço pela Paz durante o mês de Maio   Lisboa, 30 de Abril de 2024  | PA   ...